Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
1970's recipe from my sister-in-law
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces savory cracker crumbs (like Ritz)
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 large Spanish onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Mix melted butter with cracker crumbs and press into a buttered pie dish.
- Melt 2 tbs. butter in a skillet and saute thinly sliced onions until golden brown.
- Spread onions over cracker crust.
- Heat milk to the boiling point. Turn off heat immediately.
- Beat eggs; add hot milk slowly, stirring with a whisk.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper.Pour over onions.
- Bake at 325F for about 45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
We devoured this for dinner last night. Very good indeed