Prep 12 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Land-o-Lakes: "These flaky, cheesy bites are easy to make and store well." These are our favorite. The possibilities are endless: sesame seed topped, more heat (spices), no salt, garlic-flavored, etc. NOTE: Chill time of 2 hours+ has not been added to preparation nor bake time.
- 236.59 ml flour
- 118.29 ml land-o-lakes butter, softened
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 473.18 ml land-o-lakes sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 8-ounce package)
Optional Topping Ingredients
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 14.79 ml water (optional)
- 29.58 ml poppy seeds (optional)
- 29.58 ml sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine flour, butter, salt and red pepper in medium bowl; beat at medium speed until dough forms.
- Add cheese; mix until a ball forms.
- Shape dough into circle; wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. (It will be hard to roll at first, but will soften. Press together any cracks that form on edges of dough.).
- Cut dough with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters or pizza cutter into desired shapes.
- Place onto ungreased baking sheets.
- If toppings wanted:.
- Beat one egg white and water together in small bowl. Brush cut-outs with egg wash; sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned around edges. Immediately loosen from pan; let cool on pan.
- Variations: Shortbread bites can be topped with variety of other ingredients such as chili powder, seasoned salt, fennel seed or herbs.
Very tasty. I made this without the topping. I used less cheese (maybe 1 cup, but of a really old tasty cheddar), but they are a tiny bit greasy already and plenty cheesy, so I would probably not want to use any more. I think they would be nice with some herbs added. Will probably make again.
Second time making: the dough was way too dry so I added an egg and some milk. Slightly different result, but still tasty. Added some minced peppers and they had a nice bite.