Recipe by AmyZoe
Mmm...Mmmm...Good. This has great flavors, and sticks to your ribs. When I made it, I made a roux by melting 4 tablespoons butter and adding the flour to it and eventually the milk and cheese. I also used more onion and more celery. I will post the recipe as written. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2009.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups red potatoes, diced and unpeeled
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ham, fully cooked and cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan and gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables and stir until combined.