Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Entry in RSC #9
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 (19 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (450 g) package puff pastry sheets
- Cook onions in oil until onions are transparent and then add garlic.
- Add ground beef and scramble fry until meat is cooked through.
- Drain tomatoes completely and then roughly chop whole tomatoes with kitchen scissors right in the can and then add to ground beef.
- Add lentils, water, vinegar, and spices.
- Turn heat to low and simmer until lentils are soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and remove from heat.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out puff pastry and slice in to four strips and then cut each into four pieces to make 16 pieces.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of meat/lentil mixture to the middle of 8.
- Top with remaining squares and seal edges by crimping with the tines of a fork to create the "pillow".
- Poke fork into the top of each pillow twice and place onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry.
- Serve warm.
- These pillows can be made ahead and frozen. To reheat, place frozen on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until heated through.
We liked these a lot. The kids enjoyed them a lot. These make for a fun dinner & even better that they can be made ahead! Really nice flavor & not difficult to make. Good luck in the contest!
These is a fun way to get your chili. I added a lot more spice for our tastes; I also had to let the mixture cook for quite a while to get the lentils all cooked. The puff pastry "pillows" were a good idea and we all enjoyed them. Thanks for posting!
it was ok, a little bland- i don't know what it's missing, but i think it's too much tomatoes... I liked it but I would step up the chili powder next time