Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
Don't arrive at your next holiday bash empty-handed. Bake and take these cute and tasty cheddar cheese bows and you'll be the hit of the party! Directions for refrigerating and freezing are included so you can make them ahead of time or bake on an "as needed" basis. (Source: Better Homes and Garden magazine, November 1990)
- 6 3⁄4-7 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can sub Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast-rising active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- milk (to top brush pastry)
- grated parmesan cheese (for pastry topping)
- In a large mixer bowl, stir together 3 cups of the flour, the cheddar (Swiss, or Monterey Jack cheese), and yeast. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat and stir the 2 1/2 cups milk, the sugar, and salt until warm (120° to 130°). Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a 12-inch square. Cut each square into twelve, 12x1 inch strips.
- On lightly greased or foil-lined baking sheets, shape each strip into a bow by forming 2 loops and bringing ends to center so that the ends overlap about 1 1/2 inches. Twist ends together once (kind of pretzel shape with long "tails"). Press dough together at center. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (20 to 30 minutes).
- Brush rolls with additional milk; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake in a 375° oven for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
- TO REFRIGERATE: Prepare and shape dough as described, except do NOT allow allow dough to rise or bake. Cover dough with oiled wax paper. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. To bake, let bows stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes to rise. Brush with milk and top with cheese. Bake as directed.
- TO FREEZE: Prepare and shape as directed, except do NOT allow dough to rise or bake. Cover bows tightly with moisture and vaporproof wrap. Seal, label and freeze up to 4 months. To bake, let bows stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 1 1/4 hours to thaw and rise. Brush with milk and tip with Parmesan cheese. Bake as directed.