Recipe by TasteTester
A lot of people like to have a small wedge of cheddar cheese alongside a slice of apple pie. If you're one of those folks then you'll enjoy this treat. (Cooling time of 20 minutes is not included in cooking time.)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut up
- 6 -8 tablespoons cold water
- 2 medium granny smith apples (about 2 cups) or 2 medium jonathan apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine brown sugar and pecans; set aside. In food processor combine flour, 1/2 cup of the cheese, granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and process with one on/off turn. Add butter. Cover and process with several on/off turns until size of small peas. With processor running, slowly add water to make dough come together in a ball. Gently knead until smooth.
- Divide dough in 8 pieces. For each bundle, on floured surface roll dough in an 8-inch circle. Place 3 tablespoons cheese and 1/4 cup apple in center. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon nut mixture. Brush dough edges with water. Bring up dough edges and press together to seal. Sealed sides up, place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden. Spoon preserves on each bundle. Cool 20 minutes on baking sheet. Serve warm.