Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's a recipe that adds a little something to traditional potato dishes.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chayotes, peeled and cut int 1/2 inch cubes (including the seed)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped fine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream (I omit the cream and increase the milk but the cream is better)
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- Boil the potatoes & chayotes until just tender about 3-4 minutes, drain.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a skillet and stir fry the shallots& peppers until just tender apprx 6 minutes, remove from heat and pour into a dish Melt remaining butter in the same skillet, stir in the flour and when well browned slowly add the milk and cream, whisk over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens, stir and cook 2 minutes longer Add the shallots& peppers to the sauce, add salt, pepper& nutmeg, stir in 1/4 cup of cheese Spread the potato& chayotes in a shallow baking dish, add sauce& mix gently Smoothe the top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil& bake in 350F until bubbling (apprx 20 minutes), remove foil and allow the cheese to brown- 10 more minutes Serve hot.