That is Dr House to you's Note:
You can be as dramatic as you want with the presentation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 large fresh long green chilies
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 large chayote, finely diced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- vegetable oil
- 1Roast chili peppers. Carefully remove peels from roasted peppers and leave stems attached. Remove seeds and membranes.
- 3To oil heated to med high add the garlic, onion and chayote and cook until onion is translucent and mixture begins to brown, stirring frequently.
- 4Remove pan from heat and add corn, chili pepper, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice, stirring to combine well.
- 5Gently mix in breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Stuff one pepper at a time with 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the center of each. Carefully roll sides of pepper around filling to enclose, pressing firmly to shape.
- 6Note you can do this part a day ahead.
- 7Batter: In a shallow dish, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually mix in water to form a batter of medium consistency.
- 8Heat 1-1/2 inches of oil to medium.
- 9Lightly roll each stuffed chili pepper in flour. Carefully coat each pepper with batter [use the stem and if needed a spoon]
- 10Fry chilies in hot oil, two at a time, until lightly browned, turning once. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- 11If making ahead rehead by placing in 350F oven until hot and crisp.
- 12Sauce: In blender, puree garlic and onion with tomato sauce. Place mix in pan and add water, ground red chili pepper, salt, cinnamon and cumin.
- 13Cook sauce over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- 14TO SERVE: Spoon a little sauce onto each plate. Garnish with a few slices of avocado and/or some finely minced cilantro leaves.
- 15Additional foods suggested: Black Bean Salad, Tropical fruit, Melons.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chayote & Corn Stuffed Chilies With Red Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.1
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 630.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 4.7 g