Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
You can be as dramatic as you want with the presentation.
Make and share this Chayote & Corn Stuffed Chilies With Red Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 10 large fresh long green chilies
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 onion, finely diced
- 1 large chayote, finely diced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Roast chili peppers. Carefully remove peels from roasted peppers and leave stems attached. Remove seeds and membranes.
- To oil heated to med high add the garlic, onion and chayote and cook until onion is translucent and mixture begins to brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove pan from heat and add corn, chili pepper, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice, stirring to combine well.
- Gently mix in breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Stuff one pepper at a time with 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the center of each. Carefully roll sides of pepper around filling to enclose, pressing firmly to shape.
- Note you can do this part a day ahead.
- Batter: In a shallow dish, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually mix in water to form a batter of medium consistency.
- Heat 1-1/2 inches of oil to medium.
- Lightly roll each stuffed chili pepper in flour. Carefully coat each pepper with batter [use the stem and if needed a spoon]
- Fry chilies in hot oil, two at a time, until lightly browned, turning once. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- If making ahead rehead by placing in 350F oven until hot and crisp.
- Sauce: In blender, puree garlic and onion with tomato sauce. Place mix in pan and add water, ground red chili pepper, salt, cinnamon and cumin.
- Cook sauce over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- TO SERVE: Spoon a little sauce onto each plate. Garnish with a few slices of avocado and/or some finely minced cilantro leaves.
- Additional foods suggested: Black Bean Salad, Tropical fruit, Melons.