Recipe by ~Bliss~
I found this on the internet. It claimed to be the "original" Chasen's Chili that Elizabeth Taylor sent for when filming Cleopatra. I would guess from the reviews that it is not that recipe. I've not tried it, but with such low reviews, I sure am NOT going to try it. I suggest you don't either!!
Top Review by karen riley
is there really 2 cups of butter in this recipe? that's a whole pound. i didn't think my stomach would handle that so i only used 1/2c which is a whole stick and i thought that made it taste oily. i can't imagine using 2 cups.
- 1⁄2 lb pinto beans
- 5 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 lb green bell pepper, chpd
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, chpd
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chpd
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef, coarsely ground
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak washed beans overnight in water.
- Simmer covered in same water until tender.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Saute green bell pepper in oil 5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook until tender, stirring.
- Add garlic and parsley.
- Melt butter and saute meat 15 minutes.
- Add meat to onion mixture.
- Stir in chili powder and cook 10 more minutes.
- Add to beans and add spices.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from top.