Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was inspired by Chef Dancer's "Louisiana Cashew Rice". I created this at 1:30 today in the afternoon using whatever little I had left in my refrigerator. This easy and simple recipe proves that you do not need a whole world of ingredients to create something for your friends' and family to savor! You can create a blast with minimum ingredients if you think a bit and toss in some creativity and DARE! That is just what I did to make this. I made this for my brother and myself. Generally, I would say that 1 cup of rice would make 4 servings, but my brother liked it so much that he had 3 all by himself! LOL:-) That is why I have kept this down to 2 servings. When my brother, Manav, had the first spoon of this rice, he said, "Know something, This rice is really sexed-up!"(and that's why the name of this rice is what it is!). My bro made my day with this simple remark and I hope I can make yours too;-)! Try this rice, you'll know what I mean!
- 1 cup basmati rice, cleaned,washed,soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained (I use the Super Kohinoor India's Premium Basmati rice)
- 3 tablespoons pure wesson canola cooking oil
- 1 medium fresh green bell pepper, washed,de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 stalks of fresh celery, washed,ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 green cardamom pods (Available at any Asian grocery store such as Laxmi Plaza on OBT)
- 1 medium onion, peeled,washed and chopped
- 4 cups maggi vegetable broth with onions
- 1 clove garlic, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Smoky Flavour! "Louisiana" THE PERFECT Chipotle Hot Sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups spring onions, washed,ends trimmed and chopped (both white and green portions)
- Dissolve 2 cubes of Maggi vegetable stock with onions in 4 cups of water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Allow it to simmer until the cubes are completely dissolved, then remove from flame, cover and keep aside.
- Heat oil in another pot on medium-high flame.
- Once it is hot, toss in the garlic and onion.
- Saute until the raw smell of garlic is gone and the onions turn golden brown.
- Toss in the bell pepper and stir-fry for 5 minutes on medium-high flame.
- Add celery and cook, stirring every so often, for 7 minutes or so, on medium flame.
- Add the prepared broth, hot sauce, rice, cardamom pods and black peppercorns.
- Stir well and bring to a full boil.
- Lower flame, add 1 cup of spring onions (both white and green parts) and mix well.
- Cover the pot partially with a lid.
- Allow to cook on medium flame until the broth has been completely absorbed by the rice.
- Garnish with the remaining spring onions.
- Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.