Recipe by Wendy H.
Adapted from Charred and Scruffed by Adam Perry Lang and Peter Kaminsky by Joshua Bousel at http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/charred-radicchio-with-balsamic-and-bacon-recipe.html
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (1 medium clove garlic mashed with a pinch of salt)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 heads radicchio, quartered and core trimmed
- 16 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, aged
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil, shallots, red pepper flakes, garlic paste, parsley oregano, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place radicchio quarters in a large bowl and drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat lightly, tossing gently.
- Wrap each radicchio quarter in bacon, trimming excess bacon if necessary.
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Place radicchio quarters on grill and cook until bacon and leaf edges crisp all over, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer radicchio quarters to a platter. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with chives, and serve.