Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
My mother has been making this cake since I was a little girl and now I make it too. I receive many requests for it at work and for family parties. It is moist and dense. When changing the oven temperature from 350* to 300*, open the oven door briefly to allow some heat to escape so the oven will adjust more quickly to the lower temp. As an added treat, you can sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar or drizzle w/ a lemon glaze, however it is very yummy as is. My dad loves it the next day toasted in the toaster and spread with some butter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups softened butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 10 ounces any lemon soda
- Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add eggs and flavorings.
- Gradually alternate adding flour and 7 Up, blend well between each and end with flour.
- Grease and flour (or use baking non-stick spray) a tube pan. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes and then at 300* for 35 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for about 20 minutes before removing.
The recipe worked well. I decreased the amount of sugar and baked it at 300 °.