1 hr 35 mins
A wonderful recipe which we enjoy with Indian flatbreads (rotis).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slit the bittergourds after you de-seed them. Transfer to a bowl with 2 tsps of salt and 2 tsps of turmeric powder. Apply this on the bittergourds and keep aside for 1 hour. This will take away the bitterness of the bittergourds. Wash thoroughly before using them in the recipe as follows.
- 2Shallow fry the bittergourds in oil until lightly browned. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- 3In another pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds once the oil is hot.
- 4Allow to crackle. Once that stops, fold in the onions. Saute until browned.
- 5Fold in all the spices and fennel seeds followed by the chopped tomatoes.Mix well. Cook until softened.
- 6Add salt to taste and mix well.
- 7Fill this stuffing in the slit bittergourds after the stuffing has cooled down.
- 8Tie each of the bittergourds with a thread so that the masala stuffed inside them will not fall out.
- 9Heat 2 tbsps. of Extra virgin olive oil in a wok.
- 10Transfer the bittergourds to this wok.
- 11Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- 12Serve hot with Indian flatbreads (rotis).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charishma's Stuffed Bittergourds (Bhara Karelas)
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.3
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 49.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: