Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A wonderful recipe which we enjoy with Indian flatbreads (rotis).
Make and share this Charishma's Stuffed Bittergourds (Bhara Karelas) recipe from Food.com.
- Slit the bittergourds after you de-seed them. Transfer to a bowl with 2 tsps of salt and 2 tsps of turmeric powder. Apply this on the bittergourds and keep aside for 1 hour. This will take away the bitterness of the bittergourds. Wash thoroughly before using them in the recipe as follows.
- Shallow fry the bittergourds in oil until lightly browned. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- In another pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds once the oil is hot.
- Allow to crackle. Once that stops, fold in the onions. Saute until browned.
- Fold in all the spices and fennel seeds followed by the chopped tomatoes.Mix well. Cook until softened.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Fill this stuffing in the slit bittergourds after the stuffing has cooled down.
- Tie each of the bittergourds with a thread so that the masala stuffed inside them will not fall out.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of Extra virgin olive oil in a wok.
- Transfer the bittergourds to this wok.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with Indian flatbreads (rotis).