Prep 5 mins
Cook 16 mins
We had a storm in the middle of the day around 1:20pm on the 23rd of February'2006. It was a terrible one. I guess all of them are but the last such terror I saw was the Hurricane Charley in Orlando, FL-USA. After that, on this month 23rd what I saw will remain etched in my mind forever. Tables flying through the air, a cylinder falling off a building under construction and landing with a loud sound on the ground are some of the nightmarish things I saw that day. We did not have food at home as my servant boy had not shown up due to the sudden storm, and so, I put together this little dish which surprisingly turned out so good and Mom and I enjoyed it enormously. She even had the remaining on the next day :) The whole home smelled wonderful while this was cooking in the microwave. I would recommend this for those who are looking for something to put together quickly - this was ready in 16 minutes flat! Alongwith plain fat-free yogurt on the side, this made for a hearty and fulfilling one-dish meal. You can substitute the Bombay Biryani Masala powder with Sindhi Biryani Masala powder. Note: You do not have to add salt while cooking this because the spices already contain salt. Enjoy!
- 1 cup white basmati rice, cleaned, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons bombay biryani masala
- 1⁄4 cup green peas (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup peeled and finely chopped carrot (optional)
- Put everything in a microwave-proof bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH power level for 16 minutes.
- Remove, fluff with a fork and serve hot accompanied by plain yoghurt on the side.