Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from a local Newspaper Cookbook-the Best Readers Recipes. My DH does not eat meat, Fish only! But I love meat, this is one of the Meatless Recipes I found that I liked.
- 3 cups vegetables, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup flour, chana (chickpea flour)
- 3 cups water or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- For the vegetables use a mixture of any of the following: onions, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green pepper, peas or green beans. Steam vegetables until tender-crisp. Set aside.
- You may also included some sautéed tofu cubes in with this if desired.
- Heat oil in wok of large skillet. Add flour and roast until nicely golden,but not browned. Put water or stock in blender, add roasted flour and blend until smooth. Return mixture to wok. Add yeast, tamari and herbs. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gravy should be nicely thickened but not stiff. Add Lemon juice.
- Place vegetables in 1-1/2 quart casserole. cover with gravy (2-1/2 cups), reserving some extra to serve with the pie.
- For the topping, blend together whole wheat flour,cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl combine egg, milk, oil and honey. Make a well in dry ingredients and add liquid, stirring until just combined.
- Carefully spread over vegetable mixture. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or just until topping is golden brown. reheat remaining gravy and serve with the pie.