1/1 Photo of Chana Dal Curry (Kerala Style)
Can be used as a soup or a curry to be eaten with rice. My kids LOVE this! Hing is asafoetida powder (the ingredient in Bean-o). It can be found in asian and indian groceries
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup channa dal (washed & soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1 large roma tomato, cut into large cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida powder)
- 1Cook dal in 4 c of water until soft, adding more water as needed. Drain and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in another pan.
- 3Saute cabbage and bell pepper over high heat, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add ginger, jalapeno, hing, dry spices and tomato.
- 5Saute until the oil separates from the ingredients in the pan.
- 6Add 1 c of water and bring to a boil.
- 7Add cooked dal and cook 10 minutes until gravy is thick.
- 8Add the coconut milk and remove from heat.
- 9Add lemon juice.
- 10Serve with flat bread or rice.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chana Dal Curry (Kerala Style)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.0
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 39.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 38.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: