Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a fast and simple way to make a large pot of Chai tea for company or to put in the fridge for a weeks worth of Iced Chai! This recipe comes from Vikram Vij's brilliant Indian Cookbook, found here http://www.amazon.ca/Vijs-Elegant-Inspired-Indian-Cuisine/dp/1553651847. I have changed the method and measurements slightly. This is a very basic recipe that is open to extensive modification. Try it with whole allspice, cloves, a cinnamon stick, or even dried apple peices! The possibilities are endless! I do this on the stovetop, but it would also be very possible to boil the water in a kettle first. I find allowing the spices to sit in the water as it boils enhances the flavour.
- Split open each cardamom pod but do not peel.
- Add cardamom pods to medium-to-large saucepan along with fennel and water.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Turn stove on to high heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn off heat. Add the teabags and let steep for about 1-2 minutes (or longer depending on how strong you like your tea).
- Once steeped, add milk (if using).
- Pour the mixture into teacups with a tea strainer or filter to filter out the whole spices. (Unless you really enjoy a mouthful of cardamom! (I know I do.)).