Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I am posting this recipe, because so many friends and family have been bugging me over the many years to get it. Okay then finally at last here it is! For all those who have never been to my house for Greasy Taco Night...be prepared, this is a 4 napkin taco - We don't call em Greasy for nothing ya know. If you care to make these a bit lighter in the Calories (though I don't know how much it will help) use ground turkey instead. I like to use more shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions, chopped cucumbers, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa on the side to allow people to really dress these babies up.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 large onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 cups water
- 2 -3 cups cheddar cheese or 2 -3 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 (33 ounce) package corn tortillas, should be 36 tortillas in the package
- vegetable oil, for frying
- parmesan cheese, grated
- In large skillet brown meat, onion and garlic. Add Taco Seasoning Mix, cumin, diced green chilies, and water, turn heat to low and allow to simmer until all liquid has evaporated.
- Grate Cheese and set aside. In large cast iron skillet, heat oil to sizzling. Place torilla in grease allow to fry for a few seconds then turn, put a couple of tablespoons full of meat and some cheese in middle of tortilla, allow to cook a few and fold in half over mixture before getting to crispy.
- Place paper towels in baking sheet, put each finished taco in this sprinkling with parmasan cheese, and place in oven set at warm or less than 200 degrees. Continue making tacos, and placing until sheet is filled.
- Shred lettuce finely; chop tomatoes, green onions, radishes, and cucumber; grate some more cheese for toppings. Also include salsa and sour cream, even some avacado or quacamole if you like.
- Get out plenty of napkins cuz you're soooo gonna need em.
Great way to make tacos! I love greasy tacos and have been deep frying my tortillas in the past. This is so much easier and adding the meat and cheese make them so much better. I'll be making my tacos this way from now on. Alas, I also forgot the parm. Thanks for sharing.
Great! Yes they were greasy...but greasy good! I forgot the parmesan too! Oops!
These were delicious...kids really liked them. I forgot the parmesan cheese but they didnt seem to miss it. Thanks!!