Recipe by lauralie41
I just watched Barefoot Contessa and Ina made this wonderful recipe that I think would be very good for our Christmas Eve dinner with the family. From her Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Thanksgiving Countdown 2008 show on Food Network.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
When making this recipe, I did two things differently ~ First I left the potatoes unpeeled, & second instead of using a food mill, I used an ol' fashioned masher & mashed everything somewhat coarsely! This recipe makes for A VERY TASTY, VERY NICE SIDE DISH ~ We really enjoyed the combo of these veggies & the apples! Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 cup fennel bulb, tops and core removed, large-diced
- 2 lbs celery root, peeled and (3/4-inch)
- 8 ounces yukon gold potatoes, peeled and (3/4-inch)
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and (3/4-inch)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider, good quality
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow pot or large saute pan over medium heat melt butter. Saute the fennel, celery root, potatoes, and apples with the 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften or about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cider and cover the pot tightly with a lid. Over low heat simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender. If the vegetables seem to dry add a few more tablespoons of apple cider or water.
- When the vegetables are cooked stir in the cream and cook for 1 minute. Using a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade process vegetable mixture. A food processor can also be used but will result in a smoother texture.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed than return to pot to keep warm until serving.