Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just watched Barefoot Contessa and Ina made this wonderful recipe that I think would be very good for our Christmas Eve dinner with the family. From her Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Thanksgiving Countdown 2008 show on Food Network.
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 cup fennel bulb, tops and core removed, large-diced
- 2 lbs celery root, peeled and (3/4-inch)
- 8 ounces yukon gold potatoes, peeled and (3/4-inch)
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and (3/4-inch)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider, good quality
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a shallow pot or large saute pan over medium heat melt butter. Saute the fennel, celery root, potatoes, and apples with the 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften or about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cider and cover the pot tightly with a lid. Over low heat simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender. If the vegetables seem to dry add a few more tablespoons of apple cider or water.
- When the vegetables are cooked stir in the cream and cook for 1 minute. Using a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade process vegetable mixture. A food processor can also be used but will result in a smoother texture.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed than return to pot to keep warm until serving.
When making this recipe, I did two things differently ~ First I left the potatoes unpeeled, & second instead of using a food mill, I used an ol' fashioned masher & mashed everything somewhat coarsely! This recipe makes for A VERY TASTY, VERY NICE SIDE DISH ~ We really enjoyed the combo of these veggies & the apples! Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]