Beet Root and Apple Raita
This fresh and light salad is inspired by the apple season and our holidays in India. Cumin, coriander, black mustard and pomegranate syrup give to this plate an exotic note.
- Ready In:
- 500 g beets, roots cooked, cold and cut in small cubes
- 500 g apples, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate syrup (Turkish specialty) or 2 tablespoons sweet balsamic vinegar
- Join the roots and the apples cubes (slices are fine too) in salad bowl.
- Roast coriander, cumin and mustard seed in the oil until it smells nice.
- Mix well the remaining ingredients with the roasted seeds in a small separate bowl.
- Put the mixture on the cubes, add some drops of pomegranate syrup on top and decorate with a knife.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
WOW! this looks SO good and tasty - i'm really good at being able to read a recipe and tell if it's extraordinary - this is an amazing mix of flavors - and healthy and sounds DELICIOUS - i can't WAIT to taste it! beets and apples together? that is a Stroke Of Genius! almost like a dessert - the kind of food our children will love to eat! thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to share this amazing recipe!Reply
Wonderful, different, wonderful!! DH saw it and thought it too different but when he tried it he almost ate the whole thing! I love it!!! It is certainly one of the best raita's out there. I used a medium to large organic beet, (not saying that's 500g) definitely better than a non organic one, more flavourful, DH said the non organic one I once used tasted sandy. I cooked it by simmering it in sea salted water with some white vinegar, cooled, peeled & diced, an organic pink lady apple once and another time a market fresh Autumn Mackintosh apple, about the same amount as the beet, (not saying it is 500g either), I use the full amount of yogurt, I use regular mustard seeds as that is what I have on hand, 3 % or Balkan yogurt, I press some fresh ginger in my garlic press to get some ginger juice and used a little bit of the crushed ginger, sea salt, to taste, less pomegranate syrup, which made a pretty design done with a sharp knife, plus the rest of the ingredients. Delicious served with recipe#252558 which I intend to do over again. Also has been served with recipe#202897, recipe#424152 and a fresh salad with recipe#395373 for a great meal, masha Allah. I will make this again for sure!!! Originally made for, Please Review My Recipe: from 10 July 2011.1Reply
Although there were just the 2 of us, I didn't cut back on this recipe (I love beets & apples, just never paired them up before!), & was very pleased with the combo of spices! Couldn't have been better, I'm sure! This is definitely on my list of special things to make the next time we have company! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]2Reply
see 9 more