Recipe by Sackville
A slightly different way to serve this classic dish. I prefer the potatoes mashed with a fork, but for a finer texture you could push them through a potato ricer and then add the onions and celery.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter, then the celery and onions.
- Sauté until the vegetables are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Add the potatoes and just enough water to cover to the pan.
- Season generously with salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are tender.
- This should take about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return the pan to a medium heat.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables, 3 tablespoons of butter and milk.
- Mash lightly with a masher or fork.
- Add more salt, pepper and taste for seasoning.
- Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat with the lid slightly opened.