Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from the RSVP section of an old issue of Bon Appetit. This recipe was from a resort in the Cayman Islands. This is a sweeter, more cake-like cornbread and has a bit of rum in it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan well.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Whisk together both types of milk, eggs, butter, rum, and vanilla in another bowl.
- Combine both mixtures using a wooden spoon, just enough to dampen all ingredients (it will still be a bit lumpy).
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool on rack slightly before cutting into 12 small squares.