Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cauliflower, all spiced up! Yum! This came from Gourmet Magazine.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds or 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into in small 1 inch florets (about 1 3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until it is hot but not smoking; cook the mustard seeds, covered, stirring occasionally, until the popping subsides.
- Add the gingerroot and the turmeric and cook the mixture, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower, stirring to coat it with the oil, and 1/2 cup water and steam the mixture, covered, adding more water a few tablespoons at a time if it evaporates, until the cauliflower is just tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Season the cauliflower mixture with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper and stir in the coriander, if using.
Yum! is right this recipe adds a unique flavor to the cauliflower but it compliments the veggie it does not overpower it. I used black mustard seedsand only 1 tbsp of coriander - Company's coming and guess what they will be served? Thanks Sharon123 for another keeper
I served this with tikka masala and naan and it was the perfect compliment. Thanks for sharing!
loved this!! It has tremendous flavors!! I used yellow seeds didn't have any black mustard seeds...but will get them for next time!! I also used the cilantro, perfect flavors!! Thank you