Recipe by Mawthook
I was served this vegetarian dish at a dinner party and just had to have the recipe. I had never been a curry fan before but that has changed. The coconut and peanuts add great flavour and the chickpeas add protien.
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in small chunks
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large cauliflower, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes until just tender.
- Place next 11 ingredients in blender. Add water to make soft workable paste.
- Heat oil in large fry pan. Add onion and salt and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and carrot. Cover and cook till tender.
- Add potatoes, chickpeas, lemon juice and prepared paste and heat through.
- Serve with steamed rice.