1/1 Photo of Cauliflower Cheese With Ham Hock
4 hrs 10 mins
3 hrs 40 mins
This is from Matt Prestons (restaurant reviewer and judge of Australian Masterchef) and was in the sealed section of his cook book. Times are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves (dried)
- 1 large cauliflower
- 60 g butter
- 1 brown onion (small chopped)
- 60 g flour (just over 1/3 cup)
- 300 ml cream
- 2 bay leaves (dried)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 200 g tasty cheese (2 cups coarsely grated or cheddar)
- 50 g parmesan cheese (1/2 cup finely grated)
- salt (flakes to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1Place the ham hock, cloves, bay leaves and peppercorns in a large saucepan and cover with cold water and bring to the boil over medium heat and then reduce the heat to low and simmer (adding extra water to keep the ham hock covered) for about 3 hours, or until tender and the meat starts to fall frm the bone.
- 2Allow the ham hock to cool before shredding the meat and then place the shredded meat evenly along the bottom of a buttered casserole dish.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 4Cut your cauliflower into florets and place in a steamer and cook for 4 to 5 minutes and then place the cauliflower over the ham in the casserole dish.
- 5Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft and then stir in the flour and allow to cook for a few minutes before adding the cream and bay leaves and stir continuously while the sauce thickens.
- 6When the sauce is ready, turn off the heat and remove the bay leaves and stir in the mustard and tasty cheese (or cheddar) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle with the parmesan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top, serve it hot.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Cheese With Ham Hock
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.3
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.2 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 120.3 mg
- Sodium 511.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock