This is one of the finest garlic soups I've tasted. It is from Jose Andres.
Make and share this Castilian Garlic Soup - Sopa De Ajo recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (preferably Spanish)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon spanish sweet paprika
- 3 ounces rustic white bread, crust removed and torn into small pieces
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and saute until golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until the alcohol evaporates, about 30 seconds. Add the Spanish sweet paprika and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the bread and pour in the chicken stock. Stir together and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the eggs and stir with a spatula to fold them into the soup. The eggs will form long strands, almost like noodles. Simmer for 2 minutes and add salt to taste. Sprinkle parsley and serve.
Made for ZWT5 (Groovy Gastronomes) More photos are in Cooking Forum at this posting: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=4542512#4542512 Rinshinomori, this is an absolutely wonderful, authentic, simple soup. Fabulous flavor. I made it with a Spanish smoked paprika, so the flavor is slightly different from using a simple sweet paprika, but it is not in the least "spicy hot" ... and the combination of chicken stock and egg threads makes it a "comfort soup" for so many cultures, as well as a classic Iberian mix of flavors. Thanks so much for posting.
I've been interested in trying a "sopa de ajo" after seeing dozens in my Spanish cookbooks, but was hesitant. My daughter's bridal shower provided the perfect opportunity since she wanted a Spanish theme as she and her future husband will be doing the "Camino de Santiago" as a honeymoon trip. It was simple and more delicious than I could have imagined. It proved a very popular offering! It reheats well if you take it slow.
Easy to make, delicious, and perfect for when the family comes down with a cold! Thanks for the recipe.