1/1 Photo of Cassada-Like Cake
1 hr 30 mins
I was looking for a cassada cake recipe, and nothing appealed to me, mainly because they all called for citron, which I don't like, so I came up with my own version. But I cheated and used a white cake mix instead of scratch. It turned out nicely and was devoured when I took it to work for a birthday.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) white cake mix
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1/3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1/3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1/2 juice and lemon, zest of
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake pan of your choice according to box directions. (I used a 10 inch round and sliced it for the layers.).
- 2Mix cake mix according to box directions, add in the juice of 1/2 lemon and the lemon zest. Bake according to box directions. Cool completely.
- 3For the filling, cream the ricotta and the cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add 1 cup of milk, then add the vanilla pudding. Beat two minutes on low speed.
- 4Frosting. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Then add the confectioner's sugar, beat until combined. Slowly add the heavy cream and beat on high about two minutes. Then slowly add the instant vanilla pudding and beat two more minutes or until firm peak is achieved. I used the pudding to stabilize the whipping cream for better spreadability.
- 5When cake is completely cooled, prepare the layers. I used one ten inch pan and sliced it in half for two layers. Two nine inch cakes would work just as well. Place first layer on serving dish, apply the filling, cover with the sliced strawberries. Place second layer on top of filling, frost completely. Garnish and decorate as desired. I used whole strawberries (cleaned) to cover the top of the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cassada-Like Cake
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.8
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 137.5 mg
- Sodium 527.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 40.0 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
instant vanilla pudding