Recipe by UmmAzhar
Got this from a online website,though I havent tried it yet.My sister in law has and had everyone ooh-aahing....Thought you guys might like this...You could probably do this with tofu but paneer tastes better...time stated does not include soaking time..and oops..ive just guessed the serving as this was made by my s-i-l on her own measurements...
- 1⁄2 lb panir (Deep fry after making cubes and immerse in water for 5 minutes to make them go soft)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 -3 tomatoes (pureed)
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green chili
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi-available at the asian stores...)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 15 whole cashews
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 big brown cardamom pod
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak cashew& poppy seeds for 1/2 hr.
- or more.
- Grind into a paste (add water if needed).
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add a slightly crushed cardamom.
- Add finely chopped onions& fry till slightly brown.
- Add tomato puree& ginger-garlic-green chilli paste.
- Fry till the oil comes on top.
- Add Chilli powder, turmeric powder& fry.
- Add kasuri methi (dried fenugreek)& fry only for 10 seconds.
- Add ground cashew-poppy seed paste, salt& a little water.
- Let it boil.
- Add fried paneer cubes& bring once more to boil,till desired conistency for the gravy is achieved.
- Add garam masala.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with steamed basmati rice or Naan.