Recipe from a cookbook from the Algarve region of Portugal. Simple simple!
Make and share this Carrots in Vinegar (Cenouras Em Conserva) recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and wash the carrots and slice them into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Blanch the carrots in boiling salted water for about 7-8 minutes. You want them cooked, but not overcooked - firm to the bite. Strain and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine the vinegar and garlic. Add in the cooled carrots and mix well. Stir gently enough to not break the pieces of carrot.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours, stirring every now and again.
- Arrange the carrots on a platter surrounded by the olives if you like.
First I reduced the yield to fit into a small canning jar. Used half red wine vinegar and half 'Malbec' red wine with "deep aromas of blueberries and chocolate'. Threw in a fresh bay leaf, one clove minced garlic and one whole garlic, whole black peppercorns two whole jalapeno-stuffed green olives and a few pimiento-stuffed green olives. No salt-the olives will supply that. Easy and delicious over a bed of baby spinach leaves. Thanks for posting! Reviewed for Veg Tag/January.
So easy and so delicious!
Super easy. . .steamed my carrots in the microwave. After 3 hours of marinating they were plenty strong for me. Funny how the vinegar really brings out the sweetness in the carrots! Made for Veggie Swap May 2010.