Recipe by ReeLani
Spicy, soft and cakey treats. I thought it'd be fun to try carrots instead of pumpkin in a recipe and see how it turned out. Hope you enjoy them.
- 6 ounces all-purpose flour
- 7 ounces brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces cooked carrots, well mashed
- 4 ounces chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces soft caramel candies
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease/flour a 9 x 13" baking pan.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In another, smaller, bowl mix the beaten eggs, mashed carrots, pecans and vanilla.
- Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well,'til everything is nicely combined.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes and test in the center with a toothpick.
- If it comes out mostly clean, they're done.
- Cool in the pan on a baking rack.
- While bars are cooling, put caramels in a small saucepan with the milk over low heat.
- Stir constantly'til the caramel is melted.
- Spoon, or pour, or drizzle over the bars and spread the caramel mixture around a bit.
- Cut into bars before caramel gets too firm.