Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A subtly spiced low-fat soup to warm you up on a winter night.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
- 1 pinch chili flakes or 1 pinch chili powder
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups chicken stock or 1 2⁄3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- Fry the onion in a little oil until it softens.
- Add the cumin and chili and cook for a minute then add the carrot, sugar and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the carrot is very soft, then whizz in a blender. Add some more stock or water if the soup is too thick and reheat if you need to.
- Stir through the cilantro, season well.
- Add a spoonful of crème fraîche to each bowl to serve, if you like.