A different kind of brownies. Makes a chewy and moist bar. Taken from "The Brownie Experience".
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup finely grated carrot, packed
- 1⁄3 cup diced dried pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1⁄2 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 dash of freshly grated orange rind
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter a 9 inch square pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices; set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat and beat in sugar, then egg and vanilla. Stir in carrots and flour mixture thoroughly. Fold in pineapple, coconut, raisins and walnuts. Combine gently. Pour into pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan.
- Frost with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting and let set until firm.
- Mark into bars. Chill, then cut through bars with a sharp knife.
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- Blend cream cheese with orange juice and vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until creamy. Blen in orange rind.
These are moist and fruity and a definite change from the traditional brownie. Love the flavor and texture, prepared just as directed. It is very sweet, so small squares are in order and it would be fine without the frosting.
These were amazing! They are very dense and sweet. I brought them to a potluck and everyone loved them. Thank you!
This is a great recipe, I also added in about 1/2 cup crushed pineapple well drained in place of the dried, used 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg, I also increased the vanilla to 2 teaspoons and the sugar by 1/4 cup, didn't bother to frost, they were too good just on there own, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)