Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is a cross between banana cake and carrot cake! It is a healthier version of a cake recipe from an old Bon Appétit Magazine (Oct. 1993). I replaced the oil with applesauce and it is still exceptionally moist and delicious. You could substitute some oil for the applesauce if you prefer. If making the cake, use a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan and bake for about 1 hour. Recipes makes 20 cupcakes.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml applesauce
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 473.18 ml finely grated carrots (about 2-3 carrots)
- 236.59 ml mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 177.44 ml chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line or grease muffin cups.
- Sift first 4 ingredients into medium bowl. Whisk applesauce, sugar, brown sugar and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Mix in dry ingredients. Add carrots, banana and pecans and blend well.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake in middle of oven until puffed and a tester comes out clean, about 16-18 minutes. Cool muffins on a rack. (Let pan cool completely before baking the second batch or use a different pan.).
These were simply wonderful muffins. What a delicious flavor they had. Made the recipe as is and I made 24 muffins. But it did take a little longer than 10 minutes to prep. Love having muffins with my cup of tea in the morning and these were not a disappointment. The moistness of these muffins and the blend of carrots and bananas was great. Thanks for sharing your recipe blucoat. They were truly enjoyed..
This was absolutely delicious and super moist! I made it as a bundt cake and was glad I checked the oven because it took just 40 minutes. I used 1/4 cup walnut oil and 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce. I also subbed half whole wheat flour. I chose this recipe because it uses about half the sugar of most of the other carrot cake recipes, but with the ripe bananas and applesauce you would never know it. My husband hates it when I try to make desserts healthier, but he thought this was the best carrot cake he ever ate and my toddler kept asking for more. I served it with a cream cheese glaze. Definitely took me longer than 10 minutes too, but it was worth it. :)
Delish! I made this as a Bundt today for the hubby and kids and it's divine. I did have to change the applesauce back to mostly oil with a small can of lite fruit cocktail as I didn't have applesauce. I also grated half the carrots and shredded half to get maximum moisture since I use ultragrain flour, which can be a bit drier. I drizzled a glaze over this to make it look pretty, but had I tried it first I would have left it off, as this is moist and sweet without it. Wish I could eat the whole thing, but the bite I allowed myself (low carber) was great. Thanks for sharing.