This recipe is a cross between banana cake and carrot cake! It is a healthier version of a cake recipe from an old Bon Appétit Magazine (Oct. 1993). I replaced the oil with applesauce and it is still exceptionally moist and delicious. You could substitute some oil for the applesauce if you prefer. If making the cake, use a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan and bake for about 1 hour. Recipes makes 20 cupcakes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (about 2-3 carrots)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line or grease muffin cups.
- Sift first 4 ingredients into medium bowl. Whisk applesauce, sugar, brown sugar and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Mix in dry ingredients. Add carrots, banana and pecans and blend well.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake in middle of oven until puffed and a tester comes out clean, about 16-18 minutes. Cool muffins on a rack. (Let pan cool completely before baking the second batch or use a different pan.).