Recipe by English_Rose
Sharp, sweet and tangy, this light pickle has bite and adds a refreshing contrast to fried snacks and indulgent treats and makes a good change from the normal cucumber pickle.
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup japanese rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, finely slice the carrots along their length into fine ribbons.
- Place the carrots and sliced onions in a bowl, sprinkle with sugar and salt and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to stand for 15 minutes. Add the vinegar along with the fish sauce and set aside for a further 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly softened and have a pickled flavour.