Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fast, perfectly refreshing & vivid magenta (unless using golden beets). An awesome salad that is the perfect introduction to those not acquainted with the glories of raw beets. This recipe is from the New Orleans Vegetarian Society - published in The Times-Picayune. Oh & did I mention the dressing becomes magenta? BTW - this salad is really, really good for you - reduce the dressing if the calories from the coconut milk worry you - save half for the next salad. BTW beets & carrots are great beginner gardener vegetables - everyone loves pulling a beautiful carrot or beet from the ground.
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 4 cups carrots, grated coarsely (about 4 large carrots)
- 3 cups beets, grated coarsely (about 3 beets)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 lime, juice of (about 1/4 cup)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (plus 1/4 cup for garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flakes, dry roasted (optional)
- Dry-roast the cashews in a pan, then chop coarsely.
- In a large bowl, mix together carrots, beets and raisins. Add the coconut milk, lime and salt. Toss together to mix. Add ½ cup cilantro and cashews. Let stand for 10 minutes so the carrots and beets make lots of their own juices.
- Add the coconut flakes (if using) and ¼ cup fresh cilantro and serve.