Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
My cousin Carrie made this for a family reunion. I'd never had farro before - it's a grain but this soup has won me over to it. It is supposedly one of the first grains discovered and the ancestor of modern wheat. It is said to have sustained the Roman legions as they conquered Europe.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (cut in bite size pieces)
- 1 onion (cut into chunks)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 4 cups cooked cracked farro, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans (can use frozen)
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 quarts water
- salt and pepper
- Brown chicken breast in a large soup pot.
- Add the rest of ingredients except the farro.
- Simmer 30 minutes on medium heat.
- Add farro just before serving.
- When cooking farro it is 2 cups farro to 4 cups water and cook about 20 minutes or until done.