Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple recipe, I usually have most ingredients on hand. It's a recipe from my parents. It's not too sweet either.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 golden delicious apples, pared and cored
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed to sprinkle on top
- Cream butter and sugar and add eggs.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt to make a smooth dough.
- Spread into a buttered 13-by-9-inch pan.
- Halve the apples.
- Make cuts in the apples 1/4-inch apart but not all the way through, so the halves still hold together.
- Press the halves flat side down, making an attractive arrangement on the top of the batter.
- Brush apples with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minute until cake is golden and apples are cooked through.
The cake is great but I agree that the cooking time and temp must be off. I did 400 degrees and it still started to brown to fast on the bottom and left the apples undercooked. I am thinking a cooking temp of 350 and a 45 minute cooking time might be better. Will try again though bc it was excellent, esp with vanilla sauce or a little powdered sugar on top. MMMM!
I followed the directions, and either the baking temp is too high or the time is too long. My kuchen scorched pretty badly.