Every BBQ novice (experts, too) should buy Mike Mills' book "Peace, Love, & BBQ" for recipes and BBQ lore... what a fun read and window into many regional favorites. Mike is certainly confident (and its justified): he declares that HIS Carolina Style Mustard BBQ Sauce would be used by the legendary Maurice Bessinger (SC BBQ restauranteur) if only he had it! I told this to my neighbor who likes mustard sauces & has been known to frequent Maurice's establishments when I gave him a sample made according to Mike's recipe. Later on he informed me that Mike could be right... he liked Mike's Sauce better than Maurice's. Moreover, he wanted the recipe! I have tweeked the recipe a bit and love this sauce better than all other mustard-based sauces I have tried. It is also delicious on HAM sandwiches & sausage biscuits!
My Private Note
cups, a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all ingredients in a saucepan & whisk over medium heat.
- 2Once the sauce is simmering, whisk until the sugar dissolves completely. This should take 5 minutes or less.
- 3Do not overcook (sauce requires less time simmering if sugar substitue is used).
- 4Remove from heat and cool before using.
- 5Store sauce in a sterilized GLASS jar in the refrigerator between uses.
- 6(I sterilize a suitable empty BBQ sauce bottle by capping with 1/2 cup of cider vinegar inside it, swirling it by shaking several times over a few days, & then draining well when ready to fill with BBQ sauce.).
- 7Optional: in place of the light brown sugar, use 1/2 cup of sugar substitute + 1T molasses. The sugar substitute version (which I now keep on hand) is diabetic friendly & easier to adapt to sugar substitute than most tomato based sauces I have attempted to modify & encountered consistency problems.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carolina Style Mustard BBQ Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (710 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.7
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2738.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 64.0 g
- Protein 11.3 g