Recipe by stimied
This was given to me by my MIL. I hope this recipe turns out half as good as what she makes. She never measures anything and we spent a good hour trying to figure out how she actually does it.
Top Review by Tahiti
Very delicious! I didn't use the entire amount of beer in fact I used one beer and mostly chicken stock and it still tasted fantastic, the meat did literally fall apart, the skin got nice and crispy the last hour of cooking with the foil removed, served on cheap hamburger buns with the coleslaw on top and potato salad on the side, pickles too, this was great!
- 6 -8 lbs pork shoulder or 6 -8 lbs boston butt
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 quart beer
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine salt, pepper and garlic powder and season pork roast on all sides.
- Bake roast in covered pan 4-6 hours, checking often during the last 2 hours.
- Roast should be falling apart when finished.
- While roast is baking start the sauce by sweating the onions and garlic in the olive oil.
- Add red pepper flakes and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add all of the vinegar and 1 1/4 cups of the beer.
- Simmer over low heat, use remaining beer to maintain approximately 2 cups of liquid in the sauce.
- Sauce should cook at least 3 hours.
- You may not have to use all of the beer.
- When roast is falling apart, remove from the oven, pull meat into shreds, and pour the sauce over the shredded meat.
- Return to the oven for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Serve on hamburger buns with coleslaw and Tabasco sauce.