Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Pol Martin Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup dried black beans
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb beef short rib, cut up
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large carrot, pared and diced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- place beans in saucepan and pour in water. bring to boil over med heat. boil 7 minutes. remove saucepan from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- heat oil in large saucepan over med heat. add short ribs and sear 4 minutes.
- add onion and celery, mix well and continue cooking 4 minutes.
- add garlic, seasonings and carrot. drain beans and add to saucepan. correct seasoning. add 5 cups cold water, stir and bring to boil.
- partly cover and cook 1 1/2 hours over med heat. stir occasionally.