Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not for the faint of heart, literally, or anyone trying to diet. Years ago some friends at work asked me to come up with a creamy version of shrimp scampi and this is the result. Note: Sometimes I saute the shrimp, but if I'm in a hurry super market steamed shrimp work just fine.
- 1 lb shrimp, steamed
- 1 lb fresh cheese tortellini
- 3 quarts boiling salt water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half or 2⁄3 cup heavy cream or 2⁄3 cup fat-free condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning (to taste)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (more or less according to taste)
- 1 dash cayenne, may be omitted
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a pot large enough to hold all ingredients, melt margarine, remove from heat and add half-and-half or cream, sherry, parmesan and flour. Whisk well and add garlic, Cajun seasoning and cayenne, heat until sauce thickens.
- Add more cream (or plain milk) if too thick or whisk milk and flour together and add if too thin.
- Add shrimp and drained tortellini, stir gently until heated through and serve.