Recipe by Carol V.
This is not for the faint of heart, literally, or anyone trying to diet. Years ago some friends at work asked me to come up with a creamy version of shrimp scampi and this is the result. Note: Sometimes I saute the shrimp, but if I'm in a hurry super market steamed shrimp work just fine.
- 1 lb shrimp, steamed
- 1 lb fresh cheese tortellini
- 3 quarts boiling salt water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half or 2⁄3 cup heavy cream or 2⁄3 cup fat-free condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning (to taste)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (more or less according to taste)
- 1 dash cayenne, may be omitted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a pot large enough to hold all ingredients, melt margarine, remove from heat and add half-and-half or cream, sherry, parmesan and flour. Whisk well and add garlic, Cajun seasoning and cayenne, heat until sauce thickens.
- Add more cream (or plain milk) if too thick or whisk milk and flour together and add if too thin.
- Add shrimp and drained tortellini, stir gently until heated through and serve.