Recipe by catxx
The kids love the taste and design of these cookies, and don't realise nor care that they are not eating chocolate! The adults are a bit partial to them, too. This is a dairy-free recipe, though they work just as well with butter. It came from Sue Dengate's food intolerance website. Prep time includes chilling time for dough.
- 125 g vegan margarine (I use Nuttelex)
- 2⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup carob powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream Nuttelex, sugar and vanilla together until light and creamy.
- Add egg and beat until well combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between 2 bowls. Add 1 cup of flour to one bowl, and the remaining flour plus the carob powder to the other, mixing well till each forms a soft dough.
- Roll out each portion between two sheets of greaseproof paper to form 20-30cm rectangles.
- Place one piece on top of the other, and roll up from the long end to form log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. (You can freeze at this point for future baking.).
- Preheat oven to 180C, and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Slice dough loaf into 5mm slices, place on trays and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.