Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Although served with a sprinkle of sugar and spice on the top, these fritters are a side dish to the main dish of dinner.
- 2 lbs pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons allspice or 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- canola oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Peel, cut up and boil the pumpkin in salted water until soft. Or steam the pieces for about 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Drain and mash pumpkin. In a little bowl mix the sugar and spice and add to the pumpkin.
- Whisk an egg and mix into the pumpkin along with the milk. Add baking powder and flour until it comes to a good dropping consistency.
- Shallow fry both sides on a medium heat until dark brown. Adjust heat when cooking so fritters cook through without burning. These fritters should be fairly thin with a creamy consistency inside when cooked.
- For the garnish, simply mix the sugar with the spice.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with the mixture of sugar and spice.