Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Boston lettuce has a mild taste and tender texture. Rinse it gently, pat dry and refrigerate with moistened paper towels until ready to assemble salad. (Total time: 16 mins.)This is a very nice and pretty salad dish. Cooking Light Magazine, August/05. Making of the salad included in prep time -- not cooling time. Update 06/19/2008 - after making this again I tweaked it a bit; the first thing I did was used a rub that I used for another dish - Spicy Grilled Shrimp Rolls With Creole Spicy Paste which added quite a kick! Also, I was remiss about including Emeril's Creole Seasoning Beef Tenderloin W/2 Sauces: Horseradish & Creole Mustard number. Also, used a vinaigrette that I had for another salad and added more of the mango chutney!!!:)
- 12 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons fish dry rub seasonings, divided (such as Emeril's)
- cooking spray
- 5 slices fresh pineapple (1/2-inch)
- 4 cups gourmet salad greens or 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 cups torn boston lettuce (about 2 small heads)
- 1⁄3 cup diced peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Prepare grill to high heat.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons fish rub evenly over scallops.
- Coat scallops with cooking spray.
- Place scallops on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove scallops.
- Add pineapple to grill rack; grill 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove pineapple from grill; chop pineapple.
- Combine salad greens, lettuce, pineapple, and avocado in a large bowl.
- Chop large pieces of chutney.
- Combine chutney, lime juice, olive oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon fish rub in a small bowl (add red pepper flakes, if using).
- Add dressing to salad, and toss well.
- Place 1 1/2 cups salad into each of 4 bowls.
- Arrange 3 scallops over each salad.
I made this from Cooking Light's web site. The first time it seemed rather bland, so the next time I made it I added a small amount of garlic to the dressing and added chopped red onion to the salad...was delicious! Think I will also try it with a teriyaki dressing.
This is a very nice and tasty salad. I do think the dressing could use some tweaking. As directed each of the four servings would only have a tablespoon of dressing...not enough for me. The grilled pineapple, scallops and avocado are a great combo, so it is worth experimenting with. Made for My Three Chefs game.