Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Wegman's website; posted for ZWT 5.
- 3⁄4 lb pineapple, cored
- 1 jalapeno pepper, split and seeded (wear gloves)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin, formed into 4 patties
- 4 tablespoons island jerk seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄4 mango, peeled, seeded, cut in thin, match-like sticks
- 4 mini sweet red peppers, sliced in rings
- 4 kaiser rolls
- Preheat grill on HIGH 10 minute.
- Coat grill grate lightly with vegetable oil.
- Puree pineapple, jalapeno and molasses in blender; set aside.
- Coat beef patties with jerk seasoning (wear gloves).
- Sear first side of burger on grill about 2 min; until meat has changed color 1/4 way up from bottom.
- Turn and sear other side.
- Turn meat back over.
- Reduce heat to MEDIUM or LOW (Most burgers require MEDIUM; burgers thicker than 1 inch require LOW). Close lid.
- Cook burgers to internal temp of 160 degrees.
- Check by inserting thermometer halfway into thickest part of burger.
- Remove from grill.
- Place on rolls, top with sauce, lettuce, mango, and red bell pepper rings.
I loved these burgers. I made mine with veggie burgers instead of beef. I did cook some beef burgers for DH but he opted for traditional toppings. I loved the pineapple sauce, mango and red pepper toppings. I didn't shred the lettuce but left the leaves large so I could use it to hold the burger since I only use half a bun. Made for Soup-A-Stars ZWT9.
I have to honestly say that I couldn't decide if I liked these or not....but in the long run, my stomach asked me to eat 1 and a half, so I guess I liked them. The taste is very different from what I think a burger tastes like, so it was shocking to my palate! But good nonetheless. The pineapple sauce was a little "iffy" for me. I thought it needed additional jalapenos and maybe some green onions. I craved some heat to combat the sweetness from the rest of the ingredients. For the Jamaican Jerk seasoning, I used Recipe #374040 by Pneuma.
I always crave burgers and love trying new ideas.. this one is awesome and worth stepping out of that comfort zone