Warm Pineapple Tart With Pineapple-Coconut Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Caribbean Choice, untested by me, posted for ZWT III.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into 11/2-inch-long, 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup pureed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Make sauce: In a bowl whisk sugar and yolks to blend. Add coconut milk and pineapple puree and continue to whisk. Pour into a heavy saucepan and heat, stirring constantly for about 6 minutes, until custard thickens and coats back of a spoon. Make sure you don't bring it to a boil. Strain custard through a sieve into a bowl and stir in Jamaican rum. Cool, cover and refrigerate, overnight, if desired.
- Make tart: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Roll out puff pastry dough, cut out 5 6-inch rounds and transfer to baking sheets. Using a fork, prick dough all over.
- In a small bowl whisk icing sugar and egg yolk to blend and brush over dough rounds. Bake 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool.
- Heat a heavy, large non-stick skillet over high heat, add pineapple and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Preheat grill or broiler.
- Arrange pineapple wedges on each pastry round, covering them completely.
- Sprinkle each tart with 1 tablespoon sugar. Watching carefully, grill or broil until edges of pineapple begin to brown, for about 5 minutes.
- To serve, transfer tarts to large plates, spoon sauce around and garnish with mint sprigs.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION