Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An easy carrot side dish bursting with sweet and savory flavors, these cardamom carrots will make any dinner a special occasion. These carrots are tossed in a sweet butter sauce sweetened with cardamom and citrus, and served piping hot.
- 2 lbs carrots, julienned (or cut as you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Place carrots and salt in large saucepan and add enough water to just cover carrots.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In large skillet melt butter. Whisk in brown sugar, cardamom and orange peel.
- Cook, and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add carrots to skillet, toss to coat, and serve hot.
Easy and quick to make! I lightly steamed the carrots then proceeded with the recipe. The orange zest was added after the carrots were transfered to a serving platter. The sauce was good on everything! Oooh, yum! Here's my menu so I don't forget for the next time: Recipe #14255, Recipe #329327, Recipe #75915. Reviewed for NA*ME Tag.
Anna, simply delicious. These were awesome, the dh ate these first off his plate and then asked if there were any more....High praise indeed my friend, as he hadn't even touched his meat yet. These tender, juicy, flavorful carrots, were perfectly sweetened and spiced, the butter sauce was the bomb. Love, love love the combination of brown sugar, butter, orange rind and cardamom. Wow was this good. I have placed this in my Favorites Cookbook for 2012...Kudos my friend and thanks for sharing another winner. Made for My 3 Chefs - 2012.
Quite delicious; great combo of sweet and savory.