Recipe by Kozmic Blues
The slowly cooked sweet onions paired with crunch of walnuts and the earthy sage are a PERFECT combination in this amazing vegan pizza. For the non-vegans, I sprinkled a handful of crumbled blue cheese on top of half!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more
- olive oil, for brushing pizza dough
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- whole wheat pizza dough
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 -2 tablespoon water, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add onion slices, salt and pepper.
- Sauté over medium heat, gently scraping the pan to keep the onions from sticking as they caramelize.
- After about 30-35 minutes the onion should be golden and very sweet.
- Add garlic and sauté another 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add a splash or two of water if pan get too dry as the onion/garlic mixture caramelizes.
- Set onions aside to cool a bit.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Roll out pizza dough and place on an oiled baking sheet, brushing the top with olive oil.
- Spread onions evenly over the dough and sprinkle on the sage leaves and chopped walnuts.
- Bake pizza for 8-10 minutes, until crust is golden.