Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a Cooking Light magazine - the picture that went with this looks divine.
Make and share this Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Blue Cheese Strudel recipe from Food.com.
- preheat oven to 350.
- combine first 4 ingredients in small saucepan. bring to boil and cook 5 minutes. removed from heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot, add onions and vinegar and cook 20 minutes until deep golden, stirring frequently. Removed from heat; stir in fig mixture and cheese. set aside.
- Place one phyllo sheet on work surface (cover remaining dough to keep from drying); lightly coat with cooking spray. working with one sheet at a time, coat remaining 7 sheets and place one on top of the other. place a sheet of plastic wrap over phyllo, pressing gently to seal sheets together; discard plastic.
- spoon onion mixture along 1 long edge of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border. fold over the short edges of phyllo to cover 2 inches of onion mixture on each end.
- starting at long edge with 2 inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion (do not roll tightly or strudel will split). place strudel seam side down on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Score diagonal slits into top of strudel with a sharp knife. Lightly spray top of strudel with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. serve warm.